Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Don't display "See also" dates for events calendar

Go to End

9 Posts   1734 Views

jseth

Community Member, 98 Posts

1 July 2010 at 6:56am

Edited: 01/07/2010 6:57am

On our calendar, we have some events, such as School Closed, which have numerous events. When our calendar displays, currently it displays:

Jul. 05, 2010
School Closed

All Day

Holiday more...
See also:

* Sep. 06, 2010
* Nov. 25, 2010
* Nov. 26, 2010
* Dec. 24, 2010
* Dec. 27, 2010
* Dec. 28, 2010
* Dec. 31, 2010
* Jan. 17, 2011
* Feb. 21, 2011
* Apr. 21, 2011

We'd like to have it display only:

Jul. 05, 2010
School Closed

All Day

Holiday more...

These dates are not entered as recurring dates, as our School Closed days are all over the calendar. Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to make the "See Also" dates not display?

Thank you.

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

1 July 2010 at 7:07am

Are these created as Events or Announcements?

jseth

1 July 2010 at 7:09am

Hi UncleCheese! They are created as Events.

UncleCheese

1 July 2010 at 7:39am

So you have an event created in your SiteTree called "School closed", and on the Dates and Times tab, there's only one date?

jseth

1 July 2010 at 7:49am

We have an event called School Closed, that is correct. In the Dates and Times tab, there are numerous dates. We'd like to have the dates that appear under "See also" not appear.

UncleCheese

1 July 2010 at 8:23am

Hmm.. Probably not the best way to have done that, since the all those dates are not related to a single event. They should be on the Announcements tab.

Otherwise, you can copy Calendar.ss and CalendarEvent.ss to your theme directory and remove the <% control OtherDates %> block. Don't forget to ?flush=1

jseth

2 July 2010 at 2:03am

Edited: 02/07/2010 2:06am

Thanks, UncleCheese. I didn't know we were using Event inappropriately. I changed those events to announcements and they just as we wanted them to look. Since they're kind of similar but obviously different, would you explain when to use an event instead of an announcement (or is that too dumb a question?)? Thanks again.

One more question... when we click the > to go to the next month (in the calendar widget), is is possible to make the announcements change to reflect that month's announcements? They only change when I actually click on the month link in the calendar widget. When I click the >, the month in the calendar widget changes, but the announcements for the previous month are still displayed until I click on the month name link in the calendar widget. Thanks.

UncleCheese

2 July 2010 at 2:37am

Hi, jseth,

The difference between an event and an announcement is pretty simple -- an event gets its own page, and an announcement is just a short insertion to the calendar page, ideal for things like "John's Birthday" or "School closed"

The calendar widget doesn't refresh the page -- that's not what it's designed to do. In my opinion, it would get really annoying if every time you browsed the calendar, you had to wait for a new result set to load. People just want to click through to the month they want.

An alternative that might interest you is $LiveCalendarWidget, which is event-aware -- highlighting dates that contain events.

Go to Top