Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Moving from dev environment to live site

Go to End

23 Posts   37206 Views

redking

43 Posts

16 November 2007 at 8:42am

Edited: 16/11/2007 8:49am

Okay. So, I just continued installation disregarding the mod_rewrite and Server Software warnings; however, upon install completion, I get nothing—a blank white page of nothingness.

Man, this is really frustrating. I have been using SilverStipe for weeks with ease on my local dev environment, but the minute I try to go live with it, I have nothing but issues.

In summary the issues I'm experiencing:

1. Copying my existing files from the dev environment to the live site yields nothing but a page that displays an index of files in that directory

2. Doing a fresh install of v2.1.1 instead did not create the necessary .htaccess in the silverstripe root directory, so I uploaded a blank .htaccess file which removed the warning

3. I then got a Server Software warning saying: I can't tell what webserver you are running. Without Apache I can't tell if mod_rewrite is enabled.

4. I also got a mod_rewrite warning saying: I can't tell whether mod_rewrite is running. You may need to configure a rewriting rule yourself.

Again, I've checked my database configuration multiple times for accuracy, and confirmed my webserver is running Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix).

Wherein lies the problem here?

Thanks so much for your suggestions thus far. Please let me know if you know of any other possible to solutions.

Thx!

redking

43 Posts

16 November 2007 at 7:58pm

I recently switched hosting providers, and just realized the webserver I'm on is using Litespeed instead of Apache. Could this be causing my install problems? Does SilverStripe run on Litespeed?

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

17 November 2007 at 1:59pm

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=server-requirements

I don't believe we've tried SilverStripe on that server. We only support Apache and lighthttpd at the moment...

Sean

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

19 November 2007 at 11:44am

You'd need to see how to set up the equivalent of Apache's .htacess configuration in Lightspeed.

redking

43 Posts

21 November 2007 at 10:03am

Edited: 21/11/2007 10:03am

So, I've yet to get SilverStripe installed with my current web host that is using LiteSpeed. As well as posting here, I've been discussing this with the peeps on the LiteSpeed forums. The general consensus is that it should work fine since LiteSpeed is meant to work with Apache-based applications; however it's not and I'm at a complete loss. Support at my current host says their logs state it's successfully been installed, yet I get nothing but a blank white page after trying to install

That being said, I decided to try installing on another site hosted with 1and1 that IS using Apache. Oddly enough, I get the same server software warnings:

"I can't tell what webserver you are running. Without Apache I can't tell if mod_rewrite is enabled."

"I can't tell whether mod_rewrite is running. You may need to configure a rewriting rule yourself."

I've tried using the most recent stable version (2.1.1) as well daily builds thinking that might solve the install issue—No luck.
What is causing this? Why can't I get this to install?

Please help!

Thanks you.

redking

43 Posts

21 November 2007 at 12:17pm

OMG! I got it to work! YESSSSSSSSSSS!

All it took was deleting and recreating a new database, which I had tried before...weird that it worked this time around.

Anyhow, the pages with content I had created while in the testing environment did not get transfered over in the process. Is there a way I can transfer those to the live site without having to recreate all of it?

Thx!

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

21 November 2007 at 1:54pm

Edited: 21/11/2007 1:56pm

So you're unable to move across the tables using phpMyAdmin ... ??

redking

43 Posts

21 November 2007 at 2:49pm

Edited: 21/11/2007 3:00pm

I get the following error in phpMyAdmin when I try import the database:

#1044 - Access denied for user 'xxxx'@'localhost' to database 'xxxx'

How do I gain access?