Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Image Gallery Extension: Testers Needed

Go to End

59 Posts   41332 Views

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

31 October 2008 at 2:50pm

Edited: 31/10/2008 2:53pm

I was getting pretty frustrated with the Gallery module last weekend when I had to upload over 100 photos to my website. Fortunately, I was able to channel the frustration into something productive, and a few days later, I have a pretty nice, 99% hack-free extension to the Gallery module that makes image-only galleries a lot easier to update and nicer to look at. I'm looking for people to test it out, find the bugs, suggest features, and just all around let me know if it has any legs.

Features

* All photo management done through the front-end. Not in the CMS.

* Built on jQuery framework. No more prototype.

* Uses Shadowbox to display images. Lightwindow is too slow and buggy!

* Extends the SS Gallery module, so it is very lightweight, and there is no duplicate code.

* Facebook-style interface for adding captions after upload.

* Drag-and-drop to reorder your photos right on your website.

* Edit captions from within the gallery view.

* Delete photos from within the gallery view.

* Implements another extension I built for SWFUpload, which allows the fully configurable SWFUploadField Object to be added to front-end forms, bringing benefits such as:

o File size and type is interrogated before file selection (invalid files are greyed out).

o An unlimited number of files can be “shift” or “ctrl” clicked at once

o Upload progress is displayed.

o Flash Player 10 compliant.

Known Issues

* Sometimes the cache gets really sticky, and it can appear that no photos have uploaded, but you just have to refresh the page. I have HTTP::set_cache_age(0) set, and it seems to help a lot.

The Demo

The module is set up on an out-of-the-box Black Candy site at

http://imagegallery.carlinowebdesign.com.

Click "Image Gallery" to view the page. To get access to the admin features, click "Login" and use:
u: admin
p: password

Enjoy!

Josh

SilverStripe Developer, 65 Posts

31 October 2008 at 3:32pm

Hey Aaron,

Nice work! I especially like the uploader.

I have been working on the gallery module over the past 4 weeks - which now uses the nyroModal jQuery plugin - but your version used could well be better.

Something my version of gallery has is a gallery holder - so each site can easily have multiple galleries in one area.

Email me on josh@silverstripe.com so we can talk further about progressing this in the open source community :)

Cheers,
Josh

UncleCheese

1 November 2008 at 6:28am

Great! Glad you like it. Just sent you an email. Thanks for the feedback.

rxbh

Community Member, 1 Post

1 November 2008 at 7:54am

So, where's the code?

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

1 November 2008 at 10:52am

Fantastisch! Yeah, where's the code? Publish early and often ;)
I think the frontend lightbox stuff shouldnt really determine which gallery module (or extension) you're using - if the js libs in question are designed unobtrusively, you should be able to plugin in your own without changing php logic (apart from adding the javascript requirements). Josh, when switching libraries within the gallery module, how much code did you actually have to change to make this happen?

Aaron, are you keen to help out on improving the gallery module itself? Features like inline editing would be nice to have in the main codebase as well from what I see. We're always on the lookout for module maintainers and contributors, gallery is no exception here :)

UncleCheese

1 November 2008 at 11:23am

So glad to hear you like it. I knew this question was coming, and I should have addressed it in my original post.

I figured rather than release buggy code, I'd first have people test and refine it before releasing it. So far everything is looking good. There's one change I want to make to the interface, so I'll post it tonight or tomorrow.

Ingo, I'd be very interested in any opportunity you guys have for me. I'm really trying to carve out a niche in the SS community. Love what you guys are doing.

Stay tuned for a zip file.

UncleCheese

2 November 2008 at 7:30am

Edited: 02/11/2008 7:31am

Okay, I've attached the zip file. It includes both modules "image_gallery" and "swfupload." Just drop both of them in your Silverstripe root directory, along with the latest release of the Gallery module if you don't already have it.

A few updates since the last one:

* Added "admin" action. Now to get management features, just go to /my-gallery-urlsegment/admin to log in and get redirected back to an admin page for your gallery.

* Added "View all Photos" option. Some users requested being able to reorganize photos across pages. By viewing all the photos on one page, that is now possible.

* Styled the management links into a horizontal bar

* Submit button on upload form now reads "save" in lieu of "add captions." Some users found this confusing.

* "Skip this step" option added to caption form

* Code has been commented and QA'ed.

Keep the feedback coming!

UncleCheese

2 November 2008 at 7:32am

I forgot to click "upload" for my attachment. Here you go.

Go to Top