Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

How do you work?

Go to End

8 Posts   5146 Views

regnirps

Community Member, 9 Posts

8 December 2008 at 5:25pm

When I read the tutorials and saw all the "edit this php file", "edit the themes/your_theme/templates/page.ss" file, etc. I expected to be able to do all this in the CMS. ow that I'm all installed and ready to go, none of it is accessible. (I'm spoiled by Mac software and having worked at Apple years ago).

So, I assume you all run several apps at once, like an FTP client, a couple of editors for html and such, and the CMS. My question is, what is you workflow or actual working setup? It would be nice if this were spelled out SOMEWHERE on the Silverstripe site.

BTW, I'm on OSX 5.5 with latest FF and inserted images never appear in draft or published and my JPEGs won't appear as images in the list on the right. Very frustrating so far. Guess I expected more of a drag-n-drop like Freeway but with CM. I need a good looking professional store when I'm done. May have to hire someone not so long in the tooth.

regnirps

8 December 2008 at 5:35pm

Addendum: You may wonder why I thought I could do all the editing in the CMS. Watching the 8 minute video I get the strong impression I will build my site with the CMS. Then in the comments after the tutorial there is a discussion about the tutorial being complicated and old school with the direct editing of the PHP files and whether this is good or bad, which implied there was an easier alternative in the CMS. Is there?

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

9 December 2008 at 1:55am

Edited: 09/12/2008 3:39am

No there is not. All code must be edited outside the CMS in a text editor/dev enviroment. The theory behind ss is that the developer does the devoloping/site building by editing the scource files and the site administrator creates and edits the sites content using the CMS UI. This way there is no confusion or mistaken role exchange.

Personally I think this is by far the best way of doing it and results in a simple user friendly CMS that clients and developers can both use (and love) independently.

In terms of working practice I use Aptana as my development enviroment which has an inbuilt FTP among other great features.
I start by making a static page using just HTML and CSS. Once Im happy with that I turn it into a ss template which then forms my Page.ss and the rest of my theme . From there I start making all my other pages and code files.
Honestly I can't think of a more enjoyable way to develop websites than using SS in this way and the end result is something that impresses every time.

If you find it daunting developing sites like this just persevere because in the end it becomes a real joy and allows you to create dynamic complex sites in an unbelievably short time :)

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

9 December 2008 at 11:15am

There are three parts:

1. The Content Editor - for editing the content

This is where the CMS part of SilverStripe is used.

2. The template engine - for changing the look and feel of the site.

These are the 'theme' files. They require html knowledge.

3. Project extensions - for adding/changing functionality

These require php knowledge.

Basically, this clearly seperates the layers of your site. The developer creates the model/controllers (ie, the php files), the designer creates the template (.ss) files and the website admin uses the CMS to manage the site.

Try the tutorials and you'll quickly get an idea of how these things all fit together.

regnirps

12 December 2008 at 9:19pm

Hamish, nice hair!

It is not so much a problem with the concepts as a problem getting anything to work. I can upload images and I can insert them and they will show in the ?main? window -- for a while. They will not show in draft or published. Safari knows there is space where they should go but firefox does not. http://validator.w3.org/ says there are errors in the home page.

Anyone care to look at the source for www.andahammer.com and guess why the images won't show up?

Also, why all the references in the HTML to the tutorial folder? I'm using a different theme and never mention the tutorials. Don't tell me Brightside1 is a broken theme?

regnirps

12 December 2008 at 10:09pm

After a little more work and looking at Hamish's directions for adding his theme, is there supposed to be _config.php file in the root? Where can I set the theme I want to use? I didn't change anything except. I thought it just looked in the Themes directory. This could explain a few things.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

15 December 2008 at 11:49am

regnirps

15 December 2008 at 2:32pm

Hamish, you look a lot like my nephew.

I had not seen that the file I wanted was in the mysite folder. However, I also found that unless you have already "run" the setup by accessing your home page once (with the default theme - no choice) there is no _config.php in the mysite folder to change.

Since I trashed the whole thing and reloaded, I could not find the file because it didn't exist yet. Thus, I was searching about and looking at the various _config.php files scattered liberally among the other folders.

Anyway, all working now with Brightside1 as I try to figure out where various resources are hidden.