Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Page independent Content (global Content)

Go to End

6 Posts   8906 Views

loeppel

Community Member, 7 Posts

13 July 2009 at 2:33am

Hi folks,
i know someting about the programming model of silverstripe, but one thing is hard to find out (even with the german book SilverStripe). How can i have some page independet content on each page. This content should be editable in the backend.

Any suggestions?

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

13 July 2009 at 4:17am

Hi

Usually I add "global" content like this to a Page that only exists once. Like the HomePage.
Then I add a getter Method to the Page baseclass to always have access to the HomePage. Eg:

// this belongs in Page_Controller
public function HomePage(){
	return DataObject::get_one('HomePage');
}

So, if my HomePage has a Field called "GlobalContent", I can output it in any template using:
$HomePage.GlobalContent

loeppel

Community Member, 7 Posts

16 July 2009 at 1:04am

Thank you very much!
This works great!
I think SilverStripe should provide such a thing for some global template variables, such as Page Title, Site Name and Tagline (etc.)

Greets,
loeppel

me.yay

Community Member, 14 Posts

21 February 2010 at 12:24am

Edited: 21/02/2010 12:40am

Hi,

seems like HomePage is a sublcass of Page. And the function returns the first page having the pagetype HomePage.

Is it possible to use the template var $HomePage.GlobalContent inside the content of another page using tinyMCE?

I am just currious because UserDefinedForms is uses $UserDefinedForms inside content which refers to the same function in the contoller.

Does this work for $HomePage.Content aswell inside $Content of the current page (via tinyMCE)?

kind regards
Metin

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 February 2010 at 6:06pm

Is it possible to use the template var $HomePage.GlobalContent inside the content of another page using tinyMCE?

I am just currious because UserDefinedForms is uses $UserDefinedForms inside content which refers to the same function in the contoller.

UserForms uses a method like http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=recipes:customising-content-in-your-templates to get that to work which is a bit nasty but the easiest solution for now.

me.yay

Community Member, 14 Posts

26 February 2010 at 2:50am

Thanks Willr, this looks exactly like what i was looking for :)