Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Time Based Graph Data Modeling

Go to End

jessica210

Community Member, 1 Post

6 June 2017 at 9:30pm

I have a data modeling question. The data that I have is basically nodes with relations to other nodes. Nodes have properties. Edges are directional and have properties. I am exploring if a Graph DB like Neo4j will be appropriate or not.

The doubt is because: The data that I have is time based. It changes on the basis of time, and I need to keep track of the historical data as well. For example, I should be able to query:

What was the graph like on a particular date?
Who all did a given node depend on at a particular time?
What were the properties of the edge between two given nodes at a particular time?
I searched but couldn't find a satisfactory resource where I could understand how time can be factored into a Graph DB. Do you think my requirement can be inherently met using a Graph DB? Is there an example/resource/article which describes this for Neo4j or any other graph db?

I want to make sure that the database is scalable to about 100K nodes, and millions of edges. I am optimizing for time over space.