Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Modules vs. Widgets

Go to End

3 Posts   3514 Views

yaizo

Community Member, 19 Posts

24 August 2009 at 12:26am

hello,

i know this must be a very stupid question: but i dont get it anyhow. i do not understand the diffrence between a Modul and Widget.
can anybody tell me what the main diffrence is? i found this link: http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=widgets#writing_your_own_widgets# to create own widgets. but how can i create a module? is a module in connection to DataObjectManager ?

if anyone knows a very useful link thanks for this information :) ...

m. = a greenhorn

JoshuaLewis

Community Member, 81 Posts

24 August 2009 at 1:30am

I haven't much experience with either but here is my understanding.

Modules in some way extend the functionality of Silverstripe and are generally more complex in what they effect/change and how.
Examples would be the blog or forum modules that each add a set of multiple pieces of functionality that make running a blog or forum from Silverstipe possible.

Widgets on the other hand tend to extend the functionality of pages and are usually more simple and restricted/contained in what they effect and how.

An analogy would be that modules are like installing a full heating and Air Conditioning system in a building versus widgets that are like putting a plug-in space heater or window AC unit in a single room.

dhensby

Community Member, 253 Posts

25 August 2009 at 6:31am

A widget is a small piece of content or functionality that a CMS user can add to a site. Where as a module is added functionality that is added by the site admin to extend or enhance overall functionality of the site or CMS.

Widgets are probably best used by have a sidebar in your design and a user could choose to add widgets you make such as:
A quick newsletter sign-up
a twitter feed
latest news

It basically means that the site is more felxible and customisable as a user can choose what widgets appear where, rather than the design being rigid and saying 'this page must have a sign-up form in the sidebar'.