Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Send email on GoDaddy

Go to End

10 Posts   19016 Views

JuLo

Community Member, 37 Posts

11 February 2010 at 3:46am

Edited: 11/02/2010 9:35am

Hi,

I have simply followed the great tutorial given by Aram on ssbits ( http://www.ssbits.com/creating-a-simple-contact-form/) to do my own contact form.

It worked great on my free test server (x10hosting.com), but since paying GoDaddy to host my site, it has stopped working.

I have searched through the forums, and the only viable solutions seems to modify the core files, which I would rather avoid doing, to use PHPmailer.

Now GoDaddy does offer the SMTP server relay-hosting.secureserver.net, and although it says on their site that we shouldn't need to select the server when using the PHP mail() function (which I believe Silverstripe uses), I have added it to the _config.php file as follow:
ini_set("SMTP", "relay-hosting.secureserver.net");

But that was to no avail. (and I have no idea if this is even supposed to do something. Just copied it from a forum post).

Has anyone had any experience using GoDaddy for a simple contact form?

Or had anyone got any suggestion on how to troubleshoot or fix this?

I'm stuck here.

Thanks

JuLo

Bambii7

Community Member, 254 Posts

11 March 2010 at 2:37pm

Sounds like you've made more progress than I would have on godaddy hosting.
The only thing I can think of that you may want to try is flagging the SMTP server inside the .htaccess file.
_config.php may or may not get called before the SS mail classes.

JuLo

11 March 2010 at 4:57pm

Thanks for the reply.

Did you have issues with them too?

I am still battling with GoDaddy regarding this issue, who are saying that it is my fault, when even a simple php mail() call (no Silverstripe involved) does not get to me.
I even tried to use their custom mailing form to no avail.
They suck.

Just so I know, what do you mean by "flagging the SMTP server inside the .htaccess"?
How do I do that?

Thanks,

badjedi

Community Member, 25 Posts

20 April 2010 at 5:30pm

I also have this problem, I have several on godaddy most of which work, with forms. But there are a few that dont and I cant figure out why yet.

I am investigating, it might have some thing to do with the fact that the ones that work wiht user forms have an email in the godaddy account and the ones that dont work dont have a email address associtated with them in godaddy,

Strange but its the ontly thing i can figure so far.

Let me know if any one has got further,

JuLo

20 April 2010 at 5:59pm

Hey badjedi,

I had given up on that one.
(I removed the form and told people to send an email to....)

I am not sure I understand what you are saying.
What do you mean by "the ones that work wiht user forms have an email in the godaddy account"?
Is that that the form is sending an email to a godday managed email address?
(As in if my domain was domain.com and managed by GoDaddy, the form would be sent to something@domain.com)

I thought I tried that, but if that's all it is, I think I can live with it.

Could you clarify please.

Julien

badjedi

Community Member, 25 Posts

23 April 2010 at 11:54am

Okay here is a clearer description of the problem I had been having(which i think is the same as yours) and how to get the Userforms(or any outgoing email to work in godaddy). You can see the site I just fixed this with too - girdwoodchamber.com.

Problem: I made a new site and installed the user forms module(along with others). Every thing was working fine except the userforms module. It would work in the CMS and live site, and record submissions in the CMS.

BUT an email would never come out of it to any one(the user filling out the form or the intended Website admin email address="girdwoodchamber@gmail.com"). All emails coming out of the userforms module had been using "girdwoodchamber@gmail.com" as the from email address.

After the last week of many trials, tests, and conversations with godaddy - no email can be sent from a godaddy hosting account that has a from address containing = @hotmailcom, @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @aol.com, and there are more. This is one of their anti spam measures.

Today i Created a new email address "info@girdwoodchamber.com" in the goddady hosting/email center and changed the settings in the Userforms module so that all the from addresses are "info@girdwoodchamber.com" instead of "girdwoodchamber@gmail.com".

Now they are all working.

youngmug

Community Member, 19 Posts

11 May 2010 at 3:05pm

For quite some time, GoDaddy has blocked relaying out through their servers for any e-mail where the from address is not within the domain it is hosting. It isn't just using a GMail or Yahoo! account, they will block any domain except the one your site is under.

novaweb

Community Member, 116 Posts

14 May 2010 at 10:38am

Hi JuLo,

I have recently experienced similar problems with the php send mail script. Is your email and website being hosted on separate servers? If so this may be the problem in getting your mail to reach the mailboxes.

Josh

Go to Top