Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Load balancing and some numbers

Go to End

5 Posts   4171 Views

zard

Community Member, 25 Posts

19 January 2011 at 12:47pm

Hi,
I am currently in a process of planning a hosting for a high traffic website but I have no idea how well SS scales and handles larger traffic.

could anyone give me a number from their experience, e.g. what server they are using and how many hits they handle?

I am looking for various options and if I am expecting around 0.5M hits per day, is one dedicated server sufficient or do I need to look into load balancing?

Thanks a lot

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

19 January 2011 at 9:41pm

There is no real answer to 'How many hits can X get' because it depends on your server configuration and site design. You will need to load test your environment to see what the sweet spot is.

I've had instances of 1 small little virtual host handling 40,000 hits an hour (nginx with static publisher) but then some setups require more resources (postgres, lots of transactions, searching) requires 3 or 4 machines for much less hits.

Like I said, stress testing is the easiest way to get a feel for how your site will perform. High Scalability (blog) has some good posts on performance.

zard

Community Member, 25 Posts

20 January 2011 at 2:48am

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I know there is no universal answer and it really depends on many factors. What I am most interested in here is to see peoples' configurations and the load they handle so I can make estimate for my own case.

Is there any tutorial/manual I could follow to help me to configure SS on multiple systems? E.g. if I put the code on two servers and let them connect to another database server, would it "just work", or is there any extra work that needs to be done? I am sorry if I am asking silly questions but having a fairly high traffic project in front of me makes me a bit nervous and I want to be as prepared as possible :)

Also, if that motivates anyone to help me out, if I manage to put together a system I will be more than happy to compile a tutorial from my experience.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

20 January 2011 at 11:09am

? E.g. if I put the code on two servers and let them connect to another database server, would it "just work", or is there any extra work that needs to be done?

You have several components to worry about. 1) Database 2) Code 3) Caches / Search Indexes 4) Assets and uploads. In a load balanced environment you have to work out what to do for each.

First thing to worry about is how to ensure the code is the same on all machines - I have used capistrano to good effect for deploying code to multiple machines.

Next up databases - The usual setup I've had in the ~5 sites with load balancing is have 1 machine dedicated to database and then point the database configuration to that machine.

Dealing with assets and uploads is a little bit tricker depending on if you allow user uploads (say forum signup). One way to implement this is have a file share from the database machine to the individual web servers setup so they all point to the same folder.

Then lastly is the cache - if you don't have anything expensive cached then you can leave the cache generation to the individual servers or you can deploy that with the code deploy but you'll need to test it out.

Silverfish

Community Member, 59 Posts

24 April 2012 at 7:56pm

Edited: 24/04/2012 7:57pm

Also, if that motivates anyone to help me out, if I manage to put together a system I will be more than happy to compile a tutorial from my experience.

Hi zard,

hope your system is running fine?
How did u do it? any special experiences or learnings you could share?

Would be curious for any hints on managing high loads with Silverstripe.

Kind Regards :)
SF.