Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

One way to fix one cause of "Error Saving Page" problem...

Go to End

2 Posts   2560 Views


Community Member, 166 Posts

29 February 2012 at 10:07pm


It appears that my webhost has done some server upgrades and must have tightened up security a little. This resulted in one of the pages on my site being prevented from being saved - every time I would hit "Save" or "Save & Publish", it would result in "Error Saving Page".

The error console revealed that it was a "403 Forbidden" error on /admin/EditForm. It reminded me of an earlier issue I was having with the same page for which I made a post in the forums. I suspected that there was some filtering going on somewhere (wasn't sure where at that stage) as it was picking up the word "system" in alt/title tags and causing the same "Error Saving Page" issue.

I stumbled across this post which made me aware of a web host issues wiki page

To cut a long story short, by including the following lines in the .htaccess file, I was able to eliminate the problem:

    # Disable mod_security to prevent restrictive calls between the server and client
    <IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecFilterEngine off

It turns out that the content on that page must have formed a signature that triggered mod_security, preventing it from being saved. Other pages were fine.

Anyway, I hope that info helps someone who might be pulling their hair out with similar issues.



Community Member, 1 Post

14 April 2014 at 1:55pm

Perfect. Thanks -- had a similar mod_security problem with a Nucleus CMS site a while back, but for some reason it didn't occur to me that the same security protocol was the culprit in an issue with this silverstripe site.