Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SS 3.1.12 fresh installation issues

Go to End

3 Posts   1510 Views

gaston

Community Member, 26 Posts

2 April 2015 at 11:19pm

Salut,
tried all morning to install SS 3.1.12 but about to give up ...
Installed in Windows 8.1/64bit on a new laptop using WAMP and composer. First impression: on an idle system, the response of SS is sloooooow: Initial load of the empty start page takes 3-4 seconds, loading the CMS takes 10-12 seconds, when using ?flush=1, the reload takes more than a minute
I then tried to load themes:
- none of the preview pictures on the theme galery shows a preview picture, only the SS logo. If I need to decide on a theme, I need to see the theme ...
- downloading the themes is a pain: go to theme page, copy composer command, execute in cmd window, get error messages on missing dependencies, go to dependency theme page, copy composer command, execute in cmd windows, get error on´dependency ... this is 2015 I assume, not 1985?
- but finally, after this visit of the good old mainframe times, I got blackcandy,metro and simple in the themes subfolder. In the instructions you write to go to the www home directory (cd c:\wamp\www) and call composer from there. If I do this, the themes are installed on the www top level ... So I moved the themes into the right subfolder of silverstripe
- changing to metro gives the expected change, selecting blackcandy gives the default HTML handling of the information (no style is loaded)

All in all: it might be easy for someone who started with SS version 1.0 to use the CMS - but compared to other CMS, this is a nightmare in slow motion. As I cannot imagine how someone can work with this, I assume the error is with me. Where did I get off track?

Ciao, Mathias

Pyromanik

Community Member, 419 Posts

3 April 2015 at 9:48am

1. It can be like this on windows with an under-powered computer. I have a netbook, and this happens sometimes.
  2. Everything else you've described is mostly nothing to do with silverstripe itself (especially as a system).

Windows for the most part is a poor development environment. It can work fine, but the more nice to haves can be a pain to set up. Composer is one of them.
Many issues you describe are to do with composer. Composer is a dependency tool, it installs dependencies for you at (hopefully) the correct versions. That's the entire point of it. Composer itself is not maintained by Silverstripe (so complaints about the tool and it's usability are misdirected), nor are many of the packages people create for it (module and/or theme authors should be consulted). Any dependencies missed by composer mean they're either not listed as dependencies, or the thing you're trying to install is outdated for the version you're attempting to install it to. And the fact that you're copying composer commands indicates that you're simply not familiar with the tool. This is also not the only way to install things with Silverstripe - just the suggested method as most PHP development is done this way these days. It is 2015, not 1985.

Silverstripe does not show pictures of themes anywhere, these are not installed through the CMS. This is by design.
If you're talking about images loading when selecting a theme via a gallery of some sort, then the issue is more than likely with your internet connection (which seems unlikely), or by theme authors not uploading preview images when registering their theme. If you're talking about http://addons.silverstripe.org/add-ons?type=theme - then this is because you misunderstand. This search tool simply lists composer packages listed on packagist.org with a silverstripe tag. Again, it is up to the authors to supply previews, etc. usually via their github repository's readme. There used to be a 'theme gallery' on silverstripe.org, but it was so out of date that it wasn't doing anyone any good.

So that brings us to the point that many of the things you've mentioned are quite outdated. You are trying to install an eight year old theme (the default for 2.x) on a brand new 3.1 installation. It is of course up to the developer to check the dependencies listed and make an informed decision on what they're doing. There is only so much automated tools can do.

You seem to have managed just fine in the past http://www.silverstripe.org/ForumMemberProfile/show/4786 so I'm wondering what this post is really about since most things are not to do with SilverStripe, but more with learning curves. While none of the points you've raised are particularly invalid from a new user help perspective, they're more to do with the usability of either this site or some other unspecified one, and the wide spread 'misinformation' around other old sites/blogs.

The most relevant point is about windows development with WAMP, and is of particular interest to me. I have experienced extreme slowness in the past too, but after the first load it is usually not too bad. I wonder if it's purely to do with my under-powered machine, the windows environment (and WAMPserver.com in particular) or a combination of them both. I suspect more of the former. Would you mind sharing specifications of your development machine?

Silverstripe is known to be reasonably memory hungry, but once it has formed a manifest, built a database, and resized asset images, it isn't so slow. One must of course understand the limitations of the system they're attempting to develop on. That said the performance of silverstripe is an ever evolving battle that the core developers attempt to improve.

gaston

Community Member, 26 Posts

3 April 2015 at 10:13pm

Edited: 03/04/2015 10:14pm

Salut,

thanks to the extensive reply. It appears to me the error is all on my side not understanding the current conecpts of silverstripe today. I run my web presence on the old silverstripe version and after this experiance, I will not touch this for upgrade.
My laptop is a new (but rather low end) HP Pavilion 17 (K3H71EA#ABD) with a AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (4cores@2GHz) and 4 GB RAM. I installed Drupal to check for the speed and experianced no issues. As it looks like Drupal is sufficent for the tasks I have to complete, I will check this first as silverstripe runs far too slow on my PC. I will return eventually after this

Ciao, Mathias