Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

If you are considering SilverStripe, please don't.

Go to End

3 Posts   1723 Views

Emankcin

Community Member, 1 Post

24 June 2015 at 10:08pm

If you are already using SilverStripe or one of the developers behind it... good for you. But if you are planning to give SilverStripe a try, please don't. It will waste at least 3 days of your time and at the end, you will regret it. Just like I did. Here are the reasons:

The installation itself will fail because it will exceed php.ini default upload memory limit of 128M. Even if you temporarily increase it, you have to repeatedly mess with it, deleting _config.php, hit retry etc. I am sure the developers are getting kick out of this, but I find it extremely annoying.

Some of the basic features such as search, user registration are disabled by default.

You need extensive knowledge of the framework itself...but if that is the case, again, good for you. You make good money by billing your clients a lot of hours.

A lot of plugins require that you write php code to make them work. Why don't they just release one universal plugin which will ask the user to write appropriate PHP classes, then dev/build and everything is taken care of :)

Some plugins remove the only theme (simple, whose creator is sane!), making the site unusable. Others require you make an account on github, create tokens and all that crap. Yet others (Forums, multisites etc) only work on bleeding edge versions.. ofcourse, these dev versions have their own problems... like suddenly failing to work if you even touch _config.php or never really completing initial installation (although no errors). A lot of duplicate plugins. It only takes one plugin to screw up the whole thing and waste your hardwork and there is no rolling back! I have to assume if the intentions of the people who developed these are a little bit malicious. Or may be, these guys want to bill their customers as many hours as possible.

After you deal with SilverStripe plugin mess, you will go back to Wordpress and appreciate the wordpress plugin system :)

Security seems to be a joke! Several plugins (even SilverStripe itself) expect and even demand world-write access... that's right... they expect 777 on all files. assets, uploads, mysite, themes, mobile.

I read useless documentation, video tutorials (again I don't understand why they are created) and tried my best... I almost got it working.. but I have to admit, I made a terrible mistake by giving SilverStripe a try.

JonoM

Community Member, 130 Posts

25 June 2015 at 5:49am

SilverStripe is not Drupal or Wordpress, and that's what's great about it. It's not meant to be a turnkey solution - that is stated front and centre on the overview page. I think you had the wrong expectations about SilverStripe going in. I experimented with Drupal and WordPress and found those platforms extremely restrictive, but SilverStripe gives me the freedom to create whatever I want. SilverStripe CMS, Framework and modules are maintained in part by paid workers but a lot of work is also done by volunteers in their spare time, and either way the end result is released for FREE for you to use - so please try to be respectful about our efforts and reign in your sense of entitlement regarding free software. SilverStripe may not be the right fit for you, but it is an excellent choice for other developers.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

8 July 2015 at 7:18pm

Hi Emankcin,

I used to say "Welcome to the forums", but I'm guessing you will not be returning :)

I echo JonoM comments and would encourage you to amend the title of the post to "If you are not looking for an OOD PHP CMS that you take complete control of..." as many of the items you list that are true are the reasons we choose this product (the money grabbing bit is false).

I once saw someone build a site through mainly point and click with http://umbraco.com/ a while back - great system - very impressed but not for me. Just because it wasn't for me I didn't go to their forums and start telling people how awful it is for *me and my project*. I could detail some reasons not to choose wordpress, but I'll just wish you well with your choice of system instead.

Barry