Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

ImageEditor

Go to End

8 Posts   4405 Views

NoahTall

Community Member, 3 Posts

17 December 2008 at 4:34am

Apparently, either I am the only one who wants to use the 'ImageEditor' or I am the only one with problems, either way, cant seem to get a response from anyone..

I got my server to fix the permissions issue, but once I click on 'edit this image' it goes to a bigger lightbox and just trys to load something..any ideas? Everything else in the cms seems to work fine..

After seeing the changes to the silverstripe site today, I realize they dont seem to be to continuing the free silverstripe cms, looks like they have moved on to charging for everything, with no support for the silverstripe..

I have given up and moved on to joomla today, but still hate to see all the many hours I put into silverstripe get thrown away..

Any ideas?

Thanks!

NoahTall

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

17 December 2008 at 2:55pm

Where are you getting the information that SS is no longer free, i.e open source? This is false as you can tell by this website. The whole point of launching the .org website was to provide the area of documentation/support for the software itself. The .com is their business side of things.

What version of SS are you trying? I know in 2.3 the image editor was broken as a few weeks ago. Will obviously get fixed by the release of stable.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

17 December 2008 at 3:21pm

SilverStripe is still free, if anything now that SilverStripe (the company - silverstripe.com) and SilverStripe (the software - silverstripe.org) have been separated we will see more development done on the opensource software side!

As for the image editor - it is quite broken in 2.3. The talk is of just stripping the image editor out and putting a new 3rd party one in unless we can get some willing people behind rewriting the default built in one.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

17 December 2008 at 5:03pm

Making a world class CMS, open-sourcing it, creating it's own awesome new dedicated website for providing documentation, an IRC channel, a bug tracker, an SVN repository, a wiki, a google developers group, forums and providing hosting for community built widgets and modules... yooouu bastards.

=D

(Btw: I am NOT, nor have I ever been a SilverStripe employee)

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

17 December 2008 at 5:06pm

On a serious note, if you are using a stable (ie, not 2.3 version) of the CMS then it might be fixable.

Load up FireBug for FireFox (or, perhaps Charles Debugger) and watch what happens when you click 'edit image'. You should see a request go through and you should be able to open the response text and see if there are any errors.

Also, are you in dev mode.

Cheers,
Hamish

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

17 December 2008 at 6:59pm

I thought the current editor was a 3rd party app? I've used the exact same one in a different CMS before.

monkeyben

Community Member, 25 Posts

18 December 2008 at 4:37am

Edited: 18/12/2008 4:39am

I would definitely stick with SilverStripe. It is awesome, and Joomla is terrible IMHO, it has such a bad admin implementation.

willr said "As for the image editor - it is quite broken in 2.3. The talk is of just stripping the image editor out and putting a new 3rd party one in unless we can get some willing people behind rewriting the default built in one."

Nooo...I've just found it thanks to this message and it works pretty well for me (thanks for your reply to my message on the old board btw :) )

NoahTall

Community Member, 3 Posts

18 December 2008 at 11:33am

Wow, sorry to cause such a stir..dont get me wrong, I have fallen in love with silverstripe..

I used to build my own, I have a perl background, and frankly I like the open source ideas, I like to contribute and love getting help with mine or others contributions, open source is never going to stop, and I hope to do my share..

I guess I assumed that since the demo was working, it worked..so I will look into a older version..

I tried joomla before, and now tried it again, and it is just not for me..now I am looking into something called codeigniter, yet somehow I can not download it, have to get it from a friend..thats how my luck goes these days..

As for the .com thing, I guess it just caught me off guard, as I am new to silverstripe, I also just assumed that I had made another bad choice and now it was over..I did not take the time to look around, so I am sorry for those comments, no bad feelings were intended, I suppose I was just sad and needed to vent..I am just really stressed out, just finished up on building a big site, uoffer.com (its a free site if anyone is interested in using it, feel free), and it was solid stress, and now it is a tool that is just sitting around collecting dust..oh well..I still love my job!

I'll keep up with the updates, and will try an older version, I tried the latest two versions, one was a beta 2.2.3 and 2.3 i think..I went looking just now for an older version, seems like they are in the daily builds section?

Can anyone tell me how to get a version of silverstripe that works for the image editor part?

I had not really thought of using a third party image editor, now I am thinking maybe that is the options, I should be able to get one into the silverstripe admin then its wether or not I find a good one..

The worst part is that I already wrote most of this stuff in perl, I just want to crop and resize photos etc, I have so many clients that just cant seem to get it when it comes to photo editing, the silverstripe image editor looked so perfect..

I regret learning perl, but it was still a learning experience, php is great, but I have all my bad perl habits with me..hope to help out here, keep up the great work! I promise not to assume things anymore..

NoahTall