Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Installing Silverstripe using Composer

Go to End

3 Posts   1716 Views

mhdesign

Community Member, 216 Posts

20 October 2014 at 2:08pm

Normally I download a Silverstripe TAR file, unzip and run installer. Today I thought I'd use some newly-found knowledge and install using Composer. So I copied install path, fired up Terminal on my Mac and ran the instruction. I got the following error:

Silverstripe composer [ErrorException]               mkdir(): Permission denied

First I thought it was because I was trying to overwrite the empty folder that I had already set up. So I deleted the folder and tried again with the same result. Obviously it's a write problem -- can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

20 October 2014 at 3:12pm

Did you follow the installation video that we recently put up on the downloads page? I'd highly recommend a watch if you haven't.

Whereabouts on your mac are you attempting to install?

Petey

Community Member, 4 Posts

24 November 2014 at 11:52pm

This sounds more like a *nix issue than anything to do with composer. If you're installing into your webroot it may be owned by web:web, but your terminal login is probably just your user name. I find it best to login as root, run composer (guaranteeing no permission issues, or few), then chown'ing to web:web once it's done. You can look up these details in google: chown, chmod and Mac OSX web user.