Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

[SOLVED] Manual install of module - how to?

Go to End

3 Posts   1761 Views

Petey

Community Member, 4 Posts

21 November 2014 at 3:24pm

Hi Guys
I know we can (should?) install new modules with composer, but I'm wondering if it's OK to simply:
- upload the new module to the root SS directory
- run /dev/build on the site.

I also noticed that a development server was loading some modules into /vendor/xxx directory, but a production server we are working on has no /vendor directory. Is /vendor 'just a place' or is there something special about this directory?

Thanks
Pete

kinglozzer

Community Member, 187 Posts

21 November 2014 at 10:13pm

Hi Pete,

Yes you should be able to install modules like that.

The vendor/ directory is added by composer, it’s where it stores all of its files for the project (except composer.json / composer.lock of course). Depending on which modules you have installed, there may also be other (non-SilverStripe) modules in there. From what you’re saying, it sounds like there are multiple modules being added to vendor/, so you’ll need to copy the vendor/ folder to your live server. I’m not 100% sure, but I’m pretty certain that should just work without doing anything else.

Loz

Petey

Community Member, 4 Posts

24 November 2014 at 11:21pm

Hi Loz
Thanks for that info. Also, yes can confirm that as long as you bring along autoload.php in /vendor, you can manually add your modules there too.
We have a complex caching situation (the site also runs Magento, with caching and PHP APC etc.) and using composer is unfortunately a drag, as it requires some changes to php.ini (APC settings - or else composer fails with a dupe-class detection), an httpd restart and a full Magento cache flush as well as the obvious /?flush=all which made determination of these things a bit difficult, but it works as you say.
Pete