Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Upgrading to 3.2 without Composer

Go to End

3 Posts   1495 Views

acoggins

Community Member, 19 Posts

29 October 2015 at 9:33am

I have about 6 Silverstripe sites, but on shared hosting so I'm not able to use Composer to manage them. I install and update them through Installatron in cPanel. They are all very simple sites - I have coded in any necessary functionality, so I'm not using any extra modules at all. I should add I have only been using Silverstripe for less than a year so still a beginner.

Installatron offers me a one-click upgrade and I tried that but the site crashed so I had to roll back to my backup. I have also tried installing a clean version of 3.2 into a test area, then copying in the mysite and theme folders but that failed too.

I've looked at the release notes and the upgrading notes but it seems to me like the upgrade process is fairly complicated, and I'm not sure how much is relevant or needed for my situation anyway. I think what I need is a "basic upgrading for dummies" guide. Or should I just stick with 3.1 for a while yet?

helenclarko

Community Member, 166 Posts

29 October 2015 at 1:20pm

Hi Acoggins,

You were previously able to copy across the "CMS" and "Framework" folders, then /dev/build?flush.
That alone should do the trick, unless there are some major code changes.

However with 3.2, some changes were made which split off a few things.
Looks like "siteConfig" and "reports" will need to be copied across too.

Of course, keep an eye on your error logs and correct any errors that come up. You may fine permissions will need to be adjusted.

-helenclarko

acoggins

Community Member, 19 Posts

29 October 2015 at 1:59pm

Hi Helen,
Thanks for the reply. I just tried it and it really was that easy! Just a matter of downloading the zipped 3.2 file, uploading the "CMS" and "Framework" folders to replace existing ones, and also uploading the new "siteConfig" and "Reports" folders.
Cheers,
Alan