Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

\t\t\t\t\t in cms pages on upgrade from 2.4 - 3.1, among other things

Go to End

7 Posts   1757 Views

Bronwyn

Community Member, 22 Posts

10 September 2014 at 12:59pm

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my site from 2.4 to 3.1. With some help from the "upgrade silverstripe" plugin (for php files only, so far a simple find and replace of "control" with "loop" has been more effective on the ss files) I've been managing quite well with updating functions, and making gridfields, but I am having a few issues I have no idea how to deal with.

I have a number of many-many relationships of pages to objects, quite complex ones. For example, I have "paper" objects which have a many to one "paperholder" page, many to many "staff" pages, and many to many "student" pages. So every paper appears on the list of publications, and also appears on the pages of each staff and student author.

I can get the grid fields to behave as I wish in the back end of the staff and student pages but whenever I click on one of the listed papers I get either a blank page with a pop-up "internal server error" warning, or a page full of \r\r\r\t\t\t etc. And after this all pages are full of \t\t\t\r\r\t\t\t until I do a flush. All during this the front end is behaving perfectly as expected.

When I click on the existing "paper holder" (papers) page I get the internal server error popup followed by nothing. i.e. I stay at the top level.

When I try to make a new "paper holder" page in the back end I get an "internal server" error followed by a blank page then all of the \t\t\t\t rubbish everywhere. This happens even when I strip out EVERYTHING except field declarations and relationships from the php file for the paper holder.

If I start at the front end of the "paper holder" and click on my "edit" button, I get taken not to the papers page as I would expect, but up to the top level of the back end.

Attached are screenshots of a staff page before and after a flush following an abortive attempt to visit a paper object. Also of the associated grid field looking almost as I want it - I just need to figure out how to get something more informative than ID in the search field.

This is all running in MAMP on my test machine with php 5.4.4.

thomas.paulson

Community Member, 107 Posts

10 September 2014 at 3:01pm

switching to development may help you,
http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/topics/debugging

Bronwyn

10 September 2014 at 3:45pm

It is already in development. That's one of the things I don't understand, why am I not getting more detailed error messages? I do when other things have gone wrong.

thomas.paulson

10 September 2014 at 3:56pm

I think the php error displaying turned off, could you check that? also do db rebuild ie dev/build

Bronwyn

10 September 2014 at 4:10pm

Did yet another rebuild and it made no difference.

Turned on error reporting in php and it is unreadable. screenshot attached. Will try logging instead.

Attached Files
Bronwyn

10 September 2014 at 4:25pm

It's always the stupid things. Turns out the copy of this particular file I was editing was NOT the one in the site. Grrr. It was a backup copy.

thomas.paulson

10 September 2014 at 5:18pm

no problem, that happens to me occasionally :D