Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Silverstripe version not showing in silverstripe_version file & Composer version upgrades

Go to End

4 Posts   2164 Views

Tama

Community Member, 138 Posts

19 November 2014 at 8:49am

I saw the 3.1.7 / 3.1.8 announcement come through and went to run "composer update" on various sites.

First off there didn't seem to be any updates to cms/ framework, which rang alarm bells.

So I checked the "silverstripe_version" files under cms & framework.

To completely mess with my head the "silverstripe_version" files are blank in all of the sites I checked.

So now I'm unsure what version Silverstripe I'm running and whether composer is bringing the most recent version.

Can anyone give me some guidance with this?

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

20 November 2014 at 2:01am

Did you update your composer.json file? Unfortunately by default it won't just load the newest stable release. In your composer.json file you'll probably see some lines like

"require": {
		"silverstripe/cms": "3.1.6",
		"silverstripe/framework": "3.1.6",

You'd have to adapt these to 3.1.8 before doing the Composer update.

As to the silverstripe_version files: they have been empty for a long while now, and I've no idea why they're even there. If you are using Composer, your version should always be the newest one from your composer.json 'required' section, if you update regulary.

Tama

Community Member, 138 Posts

20 November 2014 at 8:13am

Thank you Martimiz, I'd forgotten to check the version in the composer.json file.

It's weird that the silverstripe_version file has been empty. It's a pretty simple addition and very useful for anyone wants to quickly check the version at the code level - especially via batch scripts etc.

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

21 November 2014 at 2:58am

Edited: 21/11/2014 2:59am

Google brought me here: http://www.silverstripe.org/community/forums/general-questions/show/9330

You can find the framework/CMS versions by hovering over the SilverStripe logo in the topt left of the CMS.

Version information is retreived from the Composer.lock file it seems - LeftAndMain::CMSVersion();