Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Widgets /

Discuss SilverStripe Widgets.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Tried installing Widgets – now getting a 500 error and can't fix!

Go to End

2 Posts   1604 Views

whitmoa

Community Member, 2 Posts

11 May 2017 at 10:53pm

Hi.

I have been working with the Blog module in my localhost dev site and decided that I needed to add a category menu with the blog category widget. I installed the Widgets module but the Widgets tab didn't appear in the CMS for my blog page.

From the instructions at https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-widgets/blob/master/docs/en/getting-started.md, I realised that I needed to enable the WidgetPageExtension by adding the supplied lines to the config.yml file. This I did, ran a /dev/build and, since then, I've been getting a 500 error. I've removed the lines from config.yml but, since I can't re-run a /dev/build, I can't get back to my site. I've cleared the browser cache but that does nothing. Other localhost sites are running fine.

I am (or at least was!) running SS 3.4.1 via WAMP.

Please help 'cos I'm completely stuck! Thanks.

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

13 May 2017 at 5:02am

Hi,
You only need to do a dev/build if you added or removed database fields. Dev/build will update the database for you.

When you change config settings just add ?flush=1 to your site url, that should work.

Sometimes it can be helpfull to just empty the entire SilverStripe cache if an error doesn't want to go away. To that purpose SilverStripe offers the option to put a folder silverstripe-cache in your site root (writable). Silverstripe will automatically put its cache there, and you can then clear that folder if you need to.

Also: check if your site is in 'dev' mode, that may give you more verbose errormessages. https://docs.silverstripe.org/en/3/developer_guides/debugging/environment_types/