Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

EventCalendar - Modifying Announcements

Go to End

2 Posts   1657 Views

silk

Community Member, 18 Posts

25 January 2010 at 2:52am

Hello,

I am expanding the EventCalendar a little bit and everything is working fine
as long I adapt the CalendarEvents (like adding a field to the database and adding appropriate elements in the CMS). For 90% of my events the announcement structure would be a better solution, though (small content and having all the good things from DataObjectManager). Now I want to tweak the announcements, too (again: like adding a field to the database and adding appropriate elements in the CMS with updateCMSFields).

Adding fields is no problem, using the SiteTreeDecorator-approach I added the fields to CalendarDateTime. Now I should be able to use them for CalendarEvents and Announcements. Neat! Now that I think about it, CalendarDateTime is a DataObject and no SiteTree Descendant, so this is not the correct way to do it, is it?

Now my main question:
Is there any way to change the CMS with something like updateCMSFields for the announcements as well?
I see there is a abstract function

extendAnnouncement
that seems to do something like this. So I have to derive from it? I'd love to have a way to do it with decorators, though.
What is the best way to do it?

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

25 January 2010 at 4:10am

extendAnnouncement() is what you want. In your DateTime subclass:

public function extendAnnouncement() {
$this->addAnnouncementFields(array(
new TextField('SomeCustomField'),
new DropdownField('SomeRelationID','Choose related thing')
));

$this->addAnnouncementTitles(array(
'SomeCustomField' => 'Some custom title'
));
}

I thought for a long time about using decorators, but there were two main reasons why I opted not to do so:

1) Decorators are enigmatic and inaccessible to most Silverstripe programmers. There's little documentation on them, and it's just not as mainstream a practice as subclassing.

2) I didn't like the idea of making global alterations to the calendar/event/datetime models. I thought it was a viable scenario that one would have multiple calendars, each with different data models.