Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

A new take on event calendars

Go to End

briley

Community Member, 7 Posts

21 February 2011 at 5:55pm

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm not the biggest fan of the "everything in the site tree" approach that modules like the Blog and Event Calendar take. It seems to me that they work well for relatively simple sites, but when you have sites with lots of content or more complicated concepts it quickly becomes un-user-friendly. So, I decided to see if taking a completely different approach to event management was possible and more importantly user-friendly. After flailing around in the dangerous jungle-swamp that is the CMS backend (to me at least), I feel like I've put together enough of a proof-of-concept to hopefully get feedback on. I started a google code project (my first!) at:

http://http://code.google.com/p/silverstripe-eventcalendar/

Fair warning: This is my first attempt at a "legit" Silverstripe module, so I make no claim as to the quality or logic of the code within. I am fairly certain that it won't eat your dog - only because it hasn't eaten mine yet. Like I said, it's not much more than a proof of concept at this point - installing the module adds an "Events" tab to the CMS admin and you're able to add/edit/delete simple events. There is no frontend functionality right now. Before I went any further I wanted to get some feedback from people other than myself - is this useful? I'd love to hear any kind of input - from appearance to usability to quality of code. Thanks!