Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Connect With Other SilverStripe Members /

For all SilverStripe-related topics that don't fit into any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

The SilverStripe Developer Community: A Retrospective

Go to End

11 Posts   7614 Views

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

8 August 2012 at 11:52am

Edited: 08/08/2012 12:09pm

Maybe they mean this one?

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/28483/cms-blog-engines

Perhaps we could jump in and make that one happen?

Interestingly enough there was a discussion about it:
http://discuss.area51.stackexchange.com/questions/62/cms-blog-proposals-merger/6105#6105

I have added my reply ;)

"I'm just coming from the now merged and deleted SilverStripe CMS stack exchange site proposal... we started this last week after a really great wider community discussion and looks like we are not even going to get the change to prove that we can get a critical mass... which is a shame really.

I can understand the reasons for wanting to lump all CMS's together... however our SilverStripe Community of Practice is mostly concerned with how to write specific SilverStripe Framework code and how we together share our specific code related problems and improve as SilverStripe Practitioners.

We currently do this on forums, but the functionality we can get via a stack exchange site helps to reinforce best practices and quality shared experiences and learning in working with SilverStripe (we could try to duplicate this functionality over on the forums but that is really double handling isn't it?).

SilverStripe is an interesting beast... it is both an MVC Framework AND a CMS in one... I would say from having worked in many CMS's over the last 10+ years I have not really come across anything similar at an open-source level and would say the types of discussions forming around it in the community would be largely different to those in other CMS's, hence the proposal.

Either way... if you really want to merge everything... I'm sure the SilverStripe Community will adjust and still participate, who knows perhaps it will be a platform to convert users of other CMS's over to the Framework and CMS we love to work in ;)"

camfindlay

17 August 2012 at 2:23pm

Interesting conversations on the latest SilverScoop podcast about the community well worth a listen

http://silverscoop.org/home/episode/3

camfindlay

14 December 2013 at 1:17pm

Started this thread over a year ago... interesting development is now I have come onboard at SilverStripe Ltd as the new Community Manager.

Hopefully can start looking at ways to implement some of the concepts from my talk about Communities of Practice.

Please keep the feedback and ideas coming :)

Thanks,

Cam Findlay
Community (Awesomeness) Manager.

Go to Top