Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Proposal: Take the training wheels off the HTML-source editor

Go to End

11 Posts   4335 Views

speedengineer

Community Member, 4 Posts

24 February 2011 at 8:23pm

Bringing this one back from the dead...

So, I can understand the need for stripping certain html elements and JS, etc - you don't want to give content editors too much control. However, this case isn't valid for every situation. For example, I have a personal site which is edited by myself and one other person. Since we are solely responsible for it's design and content, it would have been nice to have a fully featured html editor.

My suggestion: I think the ability to have a fully controlled html editor should be something that can be changed in the Security panel of the CMS. I think it should be a permissions option which can be set for each security group. That way simple/regular content editors can have a dumbed down html editor, and administrators or 'power users' can have a fully featured html editor. I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement though...

Thoughts anyone?

Oh, so I am new to SS and CMS in general. I tried an simple fix for this by adding the line below to config.php, but it did not make any difference. I must be missing something. Can anybody point me in the right direction please? It would be greatly appreciated!
HtmlEditorConfig::get('cms')->setOption('verify_html', false);

speedengineer

Community Member, 4 Posts

24 February 2011 at 9:26pm

So actually that HtmlEditorConfig line is working fine. It's just that something is up with the javascript functionality. Somebody else has already opened a ticket up for it: http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/6425

Loopy

Community Member, 20 Posts

24 January 2012 at 2:30am

These things are all well and good if you are a developer that understands the MVC approach.

Castrating the wysiwig editor makes building a page that looks the way you want it to very difficult if you are not a developer. I want to put a form on my site that does not link to the ss database so whats the harm in coding the form and options array in html?. I want to call images from another site to my site with <script> tag. I don't want editor to decide that every line that does not have a tag should automatically be given <p> tag (I am thinking array again). It would be nice to have a simple way to use different font, color, size etc for <h1>, <h2> etc. tags on different pages without having to create a new page type just for one page.

A cool solution to the problem would be an option in the admin area that enabled admin to select the ss standard wysiwyg settings or toggle and allow complete freedom in wysiwyg editor.

Any chance in the next release?

Go to Top