Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

PostgreSQL Forums Module, Silverstripe 3.1

Go to End

5 Posts   2196 Views

Antsb

Community Member, 7 Posts

14 October 2013 at 10:53am

Hi all, first post, probably of many as we are using SilverStripe for a new site:

I recently upgraded to Silverstripe 3.1 from 3.0.5 so I could use the Forum module on our site. We are using PostgreSQL as our DB.

I used composer to install the latest Forums module as well as a new PostgreSQL module and 3.1 of Silverstripe, then copied my specific site files onto that - which worked fine.

However, to get the Forums working on PostgreSQL, I had to make a good 20-30 changes to the Forums module code.

Is this expected with the current Forums module, or have I gotten the wrong version?

The changes I had to make were predominantly adding in double-quotes into loads of data-model requests. I also had to make a change so that the "CurrentlyOnline" function worked - it was always returning no results for PostgreSQL.

Has anyone else had problems with getting the Forums working on PostgreSQL?

DryerLintPurple

14 October 2013 at 8:48pm

Frankly, the whole forum module is in pretty sad shape. It's particularly bad on Postgres, but even on MySQL there's lots of outdated code and broken features. (Hello? I'd like to be able to use search at some point!)

I've been debating whether or not to use SilverStripe for a particular project I have in mind. It would be a no-brainer if the forum module were in decent shape, but it's not, so....

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

14 October 2013 at 9:23pm

As like quite a few of the modules bit of a chicken and egg situation. The most well developed modules are the ones that get the most use and therefore more development hours, but if it's not developed enough, no one uses it. I used to support forum while I built up this forum but now out of my hands and haven't got any client demands for new forum features so just getting minor updates (haven't seen a 3.0 project use forum yet, only 2.4)

If you have specific issues you run into or would like looking at please raise PRs, personally my effort will depend on whether people want to use it or not. Discussion around these parts has been to shut this forum down in favour or building better integration with an existing forum solution rather than reinventing the wheel. Personally I'd favour a native SilverStripe solution so keen to see more people show an interest it, if you have forum projects happy to be involved.

Antsb

15 October 2013 at 8:37am

Forums is a pretty important feature for our site, and we've gotten it working on postgres now, so we're going to persevere with it at the moment.

Generally if I encounter problems, I'm more likely to fix them than wait around for others to sort them out. Thats one of the cool things about SilverStripe, its very easy to mod.

DryerLintPurple

15 October 2013 at 12:34pm

Edited: 15/10/2013 12:34pm

Chicken and egg indeed. There's various features & fixes I'd like to see in SS's forum module. Some I might be able to code myself, some not. But I have to wonder whether I should work on the module when the SilverStripe guys seemly can't be bothered to.