Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Custom frontend search (DataObject) in a single field

Go to End

4 Posts   2009 Views

KungK

Community Member, 14 Posts

22 July 2011 at 11:07pm

Hi!

I've seen the question beeing asked before but no answer. So I'll give it a new try after all these updates of SilverStripe!
Is it possible to have a frontend search field that searches multiple attributes? For example the title variable of a blog post and the tag names of the posts tags aswell?

Another question that also refers to search. Is the results sorted by relevance or is just the newest entry first?

Thanks in advance!

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

22 July 2011 at 11:49pm

KungK

Community Member, 14 Posts

23 July 2011 at 2:47am

Edited: 23/07/2011 2:57am

Indeed some interesting reading. Makes me consider a search engine module though.. What would people recommend between the sphinx solr or lucene modules?

Edit: The site could (with some tweaking) be compared with YouTube, with less content of course. So the question is "If you had a youtube site, how would you implement the search?"..

Anyone feel free to answer with how and why :)

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

23 July 2011 at 3:01am

I keep meaning to get one of those working - but as I understand it you need something (other than extra php code) installed and configured on the server... I'm a big believer in keeping it simple and not introducing things I don't fully understand/control. for obvious reasons I like my method - it's all I've ever need for all of my sites - but then serach is normally done in a custom way and I've never need the extra functionality - when people start asking for "text search to be much better" and that - I'll have to look into it...