Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Basic Guidance - User Based Art Site

Go to End

2 Posts   767 Views

Pix

Community Member, 158 Posts

21 January 2012 at 7:53am

Edited: 21/01/2012 7:56am

Hi All,

I am looking to create a very basic art/photo sharing site for our newspaper, like DeviantArt but nowhere near that type of functionality. I just need to be able to register users and have them be able to upload images to their own gallery, then perhaps allow other users to comment on the art.

I have created my own site with SS and modified it with various custom page types, installed modules including galleries and photo rotators etc, so I can get around the CMS fairly well and I love it. However I have never done anything with user registration or along the lines of a community based site. Can someone give me a basic outline of what modules I would need to do a basic user based photo/art sharing site? Perhaps someone has done something like this already? One of my biggest questions is how I put an upload form on a page that will upload the user's picture to their own personal gallery/folder. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Pix

Community Member, 158 Posts

21 January 2012 at 12:16pm

OK, so I have installed the member profiles module, I see this must be part of the answer. So then perhaps the User Forms module will allow me to make an upload form for the user? But the question is how do I organize or tag the image by the user who is logged in?

So far this is easier and at the same time more complicated than I thought. The user will need to be able to edit or delete their images too...hmmmm....please anyone, any suggestions? Am I headed in the right direction? Or am I missing a "member gallery" module somewhere and re-inventing the wheel?